Wednesday, September 17, 2008

"Where's Grampie?"


I was driving down the road today and looking at my troll hands with little age spots. (I am starting to get arthritis and it is painful!) Anyways I was reminded of Grampie and the little nubs he had. I sure miss that guy. The picture above is when he came to visit me in Florida. I am so grateful for the memories I have of driving him around to his old mission sites and hearing his stories. I think it is lucky that he lived so long after Grammie passed. He was such a huge part of his children, grandchildren and great grandchildren's lives. So many many memories of that man.
He taught me to:
-love camping
-hate pigs feet
-look for green olives in green corn tamales
-how to pack a camper
-which peaches were ripe for the picking
-to love figs but wear long sleeves when in the tree
-it is okay to eat out on Sunday's if it is Picadilly's
-you must always have a dessert after dinner
-pray and read often
- jerky needs a lot of salt and to hang on the clothes line for at least 5 days
-it is best to map out your garage sale route at least one day in advance
-stick with whatever job you have
-Thirstbusters are a waste of money
-don't go to church without mints in your pocket
-dry clean your own clothes with a can with a plastic brush on it
-Matlock is good TV, so is People's Court
- keep a year supply
- help your family...
Those of you who knew this man Grampie what did you learn from him?

9 comments:

Kim Skinner said...

the time that me and you went camping with him and grammy in their new trailer and he scolded us for peeing in the potty that was already cleaned out. spending summers at his house playing barbies. garage sales, but more specifically him driving on the person's yard and making an entrance. cockroaches. peppermint sticks from aj bayless. bbq and beans. frost-bitten ice cream. fig trees. the smell of his house. the radio in the master bathroom. now that i think about it, the scary breezeways and doorways to his house. so many more...most of all include you in them too. we were lucky.

Channy said...

Your right most of my memories of Grampie have you in it also!
We were quite the trio. Two luvies and a Grampie.

Mariley Johnson said...

I can't think of Grampy without thinking of him fixing old camping chairs. And of course he was the cutest Grampy!

Chea said...

aqua velva, bandaids on his arms, his testimony, early morning temple service, his cattapliar eyebrows wiggling with a twinkle in his eye. and most of calling me shea to his dying day. I miss him.

wendy said...

I missed more days of kindergarten than I attended because I stayed with Grampie practically every weekend. I, too, remember Picadilly's on Sunday. This has caused many a heated arguments in my married life. When I would go down to Tucson, I would always come back with an extra suitcase that was full of yard sale treasures.
Oh, ya, Grampie was the one to get me to stop peeing the bed at night.

Unknown said...

I love Grampie too. I get so lonesome for some one to love me. Im so glad he gave you good memories of a good time of life.

charmaine said...

Channy, thanks so much for the reminders of Grampy. I think I am going to make my own list of the things I loved about him. Most of all I can remember how much he loved me and let me know. I wish I were more like him. Love,Aunt Charmaine

Mandini said...

Grampie----
Knowing what you got for Christmas by seeing one of your siblings open a gift. But he remembered every single grandchild!

Shuffling the cards for him to play solitaire "but not too good" he would say

His constant eyebrow motion up and down (the caterpillar eyebrows and Chea so aptly put)

Garage sales with him

The peppermint sticks for Christmas

Sitting in the camper of his redtruck and him swerving all over the road because we thought it was fun to roll around in the back

Their house in Tucson and all the hidden rooms with stuff piled to the roof. Oh and the plastic beads in the doorway.

His love for Hawaii

His devotion and love to Grammy- even until his dying day.

His generosity

I miss him too very much- camping is always hard for me because it makes me miss him even more. I am grateful I did get the chance to live with him for a while because it made me learn so much more about him and appreciate him and get to know him that much better.

Jeff and Elise said...

I love that we all remember many of the same things. I remember him bringing suitcases full of candy to camping... nevermind the fact that most of it was probably one or two years old. I miss the eyebrow motion, and shuffling his cards for him. I DO NOT miss the cockroaches at his house!

One time when I was living with him, I came home from work and noticed him looking out the window. I asked him who he was waiting for and he told me "I'm waiting for it to get dark so I can go to bed" - I think it was about 6:30 at night.

I remember seeing him saying his prayers by his bed on more than one occasion, and this was always such a good example to me.